Re: question on Cygwin's version of make

On 2/29/2012 11:55 PM, marco atzeri wrote:
On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 8:47 AM, Csaba Raduly wrote:
On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 8:23 AM, marco atzeri wrote:
On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 8:13 AM, Paul Allen Newell wrote:
(snip)
I also noticed that if I run "make>&  make.out" that the message is printed
to the terminal and is not in make.out. What am I missing to capture all
output in make.out?
I like this way

make&2>1 |tee make.out

"&2>1" redirect the error message to the std output
Shouldn't that be

make 2>&1 | tee make.out
yes correct,
typo from my side

Paul,
looks on
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Bash-Prog-Intro-HOWTO-3.html
http://www.linuxtopia.org/online_books/advanced_bash_scripting_guide/io-redirection.html

for further info.

Csaba
--
Marco
Marco and Csaba:

I looked in the first suggested link and found what my problem is. Item #3.6 is
+++
This will place every output of a program to a file. This is suitable sometimes for cron entries, if you want a command to pass in absolute silence.

            rm -f $(find / -name core) &> /dev/null
+++

This is what I am doing and my problem is basename is sending its error/warning to the screen and ignoring my "&>". Yes, I know my email originally stated ">&", but it doesn't seem to matter what the order is for basename to ignore it.

What am I not understanding in what the link says versus the actions I am seeing?

Paul