Re: CYGWIN Subversion >= 1.7.2; problem to use protocol https.

On 2/21/2012 1:40 AM, denis.chancogne@free.fr wrote:
> I'm not sure if I must send this e-mail to you or at the mailing list cygwin-apps AT cygwin.com ...

cygwin AT cygwin.com is the correct place. I've sending this response
there. Please follow up on that list only (no need to CC me also).

> Since subversion 1.7.2, I have problem to use https protocol.
> I have the following error :
>
>   $ svn status -u
>   svn: E175002: Unable to connect to a repository at URL 'https://host.domain/svn/cufo82/cufo82'
>   svn: E175002: OPTIONS de 'https://host.domain/svn/cufo82/cufo82' : SSL handshake failed: SSL error code -1/1/336032856 (https://host.domain)
>   (I have replaced my real host with 'host.domain')
>
> Today the problem still appears with version 1.7.3 :
[... snip svn --version output ...]

> So i tried to recompile subversion with a more recent version of openssl,
> and so i recompiled neon with openssl 1.0.0g (instead of 0.9.8).
> I compiled all the following libraries in static (no shared) mode and in the following order :
> -- openssl 1.0.0g
> -- apr 1.4.5
> -- apr-util 1.4.1
> -- neon 0.29.6
> -- subversion 1.7.2.
> With this version it works ... So maybe there is a problem with versions of openssl >= 0.9.8 and < 1.0.0.

It may be an issue with openssl 0.9.8. Are you using the latest version
(0.9.8t-1)? Please check out http://cygwin.com/problems.html,
specifically this part:

  Run cygcheck -s -v -r > cygcheck.out and include that file as an
  attachment in your report. Please do not compress or otherwise encode
  the output. Just attach it as a straight text file so that it can be
  easily viewed.

It's rather hard for me to debug this issue further without access to
the server that's causing the problem. It works fine for me using SSL
against my repository.

If you're willing to let me debug against your server, please send me a
private email with the details to the address in my signature.

If not, then you might try using the "openssl s_client" command to test
further. This will use the openssl library to establish an SSL
connection with your server. It might give more details about what's
failing. Do "man s_client" for more details.

Occam's eraser:
        The philosophical principle that even the simplest
        solution is bound to have something wrong with it.