Documentation on -mno-cygwin Accuracy

2012/2/7 Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Feb ?7 14:10, carolus wrote:

>> >The cygwin distribution of mingw puts the support dlls in their own
>> >directories. You must act yourself to get them on PATH. This is a
>> >consequence of their not being cygwin compilers and giving you a mongrel
>> >combination of cygwin and Windows setup. However, cygwin provides useful
>> >tools like find and export:
>> >export PATH=/usr/x86_64-w64-mingw32/sys-root/mingw/bin/:$PATH
>> >

>> The old -mno-cygwin yielded a standalone executable that I could
>> give to a colleague and it would "just work" ?on a Windows machine
>> without cygwin. ?It appears that now one must bundle at least one
>> dll. ?From a licensing standpoint, are these dll's any different
>> from cygwin1.dll? Can they be distributed freely without bundling
>> the source code?

Yes, those DLLs (or static-libraries) provided by gcc can be
redistrubted without having GPL issues. ?Gcc itself has here an
license-expception for those runtime-libraries/objects/headers.

Btw for a mingw cross-compiler the libraries are to be found in
<sysroot>/<target>/lib. ?Only in native variant the DLL-files getting
installed into the <sysroot>/bin folder. ?This was necessary to allow
also multilib-version for windows targets (not that I would encourage
here people actual to use it).

I added to my .bash_profile in the home directory the following lines:

PATH=/usr/local/x86_64-w64-mingw32/lib:/usr/local/i686-w64-mingw32/lib:${PATH}
export GCOV_PREFIX_STRIP=1000

(I am using as sysroot /usr/local - don't do that if you aren't
absolute aware about its side-effects).

> There's the usual misconception about the GPL. ?If you create an
> application which is linked against the Cygwin DLL (or any other GPLed
> library), but you only use the application in-house, there's no reason
> at all to distribute the source code to your collegues. ?If one of them
> really wants it, he can always ask you, right? ?Only if you provide the
> binaries to customers or to the world in some way, you are supposed to
> provide the sources codes as well in a GPL-compatible way.

Right, this is a mistake in assumption, which is often done.

Regards,
Kai