Re: Putty and pre-shared keys with Cygwin's sshd

On 1/23/2012 11:38 AM, Andrey Repin wrote:
Greetings, Andrew DeFaria!

What "feature" does putty have that I need? A GUI dialog box that I need to
fill out to connect to a system?
No, you don't need a GUI dialog box to connect to your system with PuTTY.
Just invoke it with
putty.exe -ssh username@address

It'll use default session configuration for given connection.
I assumed it had other ways to invoke it. I was asking what the advantages are. Many people view a GUI <anything> as an advantage.
The main advantages of PuTTY is
1. Native code. Works much faster, where Cygwin applications are rather slow
to invoke on my system. Hope it'll change with 1.7.10, though.
Yes, it may be quicker. However I don't think I can even catch the difference in speed with a stopwatch.
2. Single-point connection with familiar interface to many, many consoles.
That's a big advantage, if all you ever want 90% of the time is connecting to
other hosts.
Not sure I'm understanding this at all. Seems to me with Cygwin it's ssh username@host for any host or username and for putty it's putty -ssh username@host. I'm not sure how the later is better than the former...
3. Vast configuration options. I've been able to overcome every deficiency of
the remote host I've been connecting to. Including some rather stupid consoles
with insane keymaps.
I've never experienced any "deficiency of the remote host" that you speak of...
4. Which is really should be #1: SSH client is just one of many possible uses.
Modem/serial line terminal client is what I'm using often myself. Referring
back to #2 - a single-point entryway to all possible consoles.
I'm only interested in ssh. I haven't used a modem/serial line in some 10-15 years. And if I need to use telnet instead of ssh I simply type telnet instead of ssh.

Look I know we all have our preferences and sometimes for good reason. That's why I ask and want to know. There have been times when somebody else's preferences and reasons made me switch because they were compelling. No harm in that... Unfortunately I don't see any compelling reasons to switch 'cept perhaps speed and as I said, to me, it's hardly noticeable...
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
A lady came up to me on the street, pointed at my suede jacket and said, "Don't you know a cow was murdered for that jacket?" I said "I didn't know there were any witnesses. Now I'll have to kill you too."