Re: Latest cygwin.bat - need one

On 12/12/2011 07:37 PM, Mike Brown wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 04:11:48PM -0800, Gary Johnson wrote:
>>     General
>>         [Name:] Cygwin Terminal
>>     Shortcut
>>         Target: C:\cygwin\bin\mintty.exe -i /Cygwin-Terminal.ico -
>>         Start in: [empty]
>>         Shortcut key: None
>>         Run: Normal window
>>         [Icon:] C:\cygwin\Cygwin-Termina.ico
>
> Thanks, I created a shortcut with the above info and it is close.
>
> It starts and it finds my shell and my config files.  But $SHELL is empty
> and the terminal has no clue as to where any of the Cygwin programs are.
> The PATH that is created before any of my files are read contains info on
> Windblows program locations, but nowhere is /usr/bin or /bin, or any of the
> long path names to the Cygwin binaries.
>
> When started from the cygwin.bat file, "/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:" prefice
> the Windblows paths.  So, a PATH that includes the needed info to the cygwin
> binaries is built when BAT is run, but not when mintty is started.
>
> Is there a reason why Cygwin is not building a PATH with the needed info?

As I recall, all of the PATH settings are handled in /etc/profile and
files in /etc/profile.d.  It sounds like you have a problem somewhere in
there.  Maybe you made local changes that prevented the package that
provides /etc/profile from updating it when you upgraded Cygwin.

Try installing a fresh instance of Cygwin to a different directory and
see if things behave better there.  You can leave your current
installation where it is without much risk of interference, assuming
your shell startup scripts don't have any hard coded paths to the
original location.

> I've modified my environment resource file to look for $TERM == xterm and
> added the needed Cygwin paths.

That shouldn't be necessary once you get the real problem sorted out.

> BTW, what is with white text on a black background?  UGGHH!  :-)

To each his own.  Hopefully, you found all the configuration options so
that you can change it as you please. :-)

-Jeremy