Re: cygwin limping after update (subject chage)

On 12/09/2011 01:03 PM, Mike Brown wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 09, 2011 at 12:28:36PM -0600, Mike Brown wrote:
>> Now I need to know why the rxvt program is not working correctly.
>
> Still do not know why that doesn't work.

You may or may not like this answer, but try using mintty instead.  It's
the default terminal program for Cygwin now and works extremely well.

Rxvt has long been abandoned (even upstream), and while I haven't heard
that it's known to be broken, it's probably not likely to get a fix even
if it is.  If you're hooked on the rxvt interface/behaviors, I've heard
that urxvt still works somewhat recently, but you'll need to run an X
server in order to use it, unlike mintty and rxvt.

> As for ssh, I've run the ssh-user-config and ssh-host-config and started the
> daemon.
>
> When I try and log in from my Solaris box, it keeps asking me for the password,
> i.e., it can't correctly determine what it is.  I use:
>
> 	ssh -l vidiot PVRpeecee
>
> The other ssh daemon was able to get my password correct.  Any idea why
> openssh can't figure out my password?

Have you confirmed that your /etc/passwd file is correctly configured
for your user?  The username you use with ssh will need to match an
entry in there, and that entry will need to have the correct SID for a
real Windows account associated with it.

You may need to try at least partially regenerating the passwd and group
files using mkpasswd and mkgroup.  It might also be good to check the
Windows event log as well as /var/log/sshd.log.

-Jeremy