Re: Starting Z-shell via telnet connection to XP box

On 12/9/2011 9:03, Mike Brown wrote:
Because with OpenSSH properly configured you get scp and sftp pretty much for free.
I don't use either feature :-)
Maybe because you're using WinSSD! :-)

You don't use those features on your Solaris boxes? Oh wait you seem to only have one....
Because you don't need to then get, install, config, update, etc. a bunch of individualized packages all over the place!
Like I mentioned, I did a search of the packages and got fooled and didn't
notice that the website only lists the first 30.  If the website did what
other sites do, and that is have multiple pages, I would have gone thru
the other pages and seen openssh.
What website? You mean http://cygwin.com/packages/? If you would have searched for openssh or even sshd you would have found it.
Never understood why people do this. They get Putty (which, AFAICT, doesn't play well with the concept of pre-shared ssh keys (in a Unix sense) and doesn't give you scp, etc.) and then get some paid for X server like Reflections/X or something like that, then get some WinFTP server and WinCVS thingy, etc. Why do you want to mess with all of these non-unix, non integrated and sometimes shell out $$ to piece together something when all of that is available inside Cygwin and they all "play well together"???
My main server is Solaris x86, soon to be replaced with Linux Fedora 14.
Cygwin is placed on the two XP boxes that deal with satellite feed capture,
editing and rendering.  Con is my friend, as well as the Z-shell scripts that
I have to do various jobs.
That may be, but my rant is not aimed solely at you. I see people everyday, with many more servers and the like at my clients getting putty here and Reflections X there and FireFTP somewhere else...
I have puTTy on my laptop, which is what I use to get into my Solaris server
when I am away.
I've always had problems trying to configure putty to use pre-shared keys. I hate typing in my password umpteen times a day!
Don't do X as the DSL outbound speed is too damn slow. I do everything via text. It is all I need.
I've done X from my house to my client's site without much of a problem. It's a little sluggish but not too bad. At home I have about a 1-3Mbps upload speed. Exactly how slow is your DSL?
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
A budget is just a method of worrying before you spend money, as well as afterward.