Re: Problems with updating nearly any package meant for Cygwin or using packages such as libtool

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 11:34:11AM -0800, viper_88 wrote:

>Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
>>
>> On 11/15/2011 2:28 PM, viper_88 wrote:
>>> The avalanche of my problems has started when I wanted to install
>>> compat-libstdc++ 33-3.2.3. The installation failed due to the following
>>> dependencies errors:
>>>
>>> error: Failed dependencies:
>>>          /sbin/ldconfig is needed by compat-libstdc++-33-3.2.3-55.fc5
>>>          libc.so.6 is needed by compat-libstdc++-33-3.2.3-55.fc5
>>>          libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.0) is needed by
>>> compat-libstdc++-33-3.2.3-55.fc5
>>>          libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.1) is needed by
>>> compat-libstdc++-33-3.2.3-55.fc5
>>>          libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.1.3) is needed by
>>> compat-libstdc++-33-3.2.3-55.fc5
>>>          libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.2) is needed by
>>> compat-libstdc++-33-3.2.3-55.fc5
>>>          libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.3) is needed by
>>> compat-libstdc++-33-3.2.3-55.fc5
>>>          libgcc_s.so.1 is needed by compat-libstdc++-33-3.2.3-55.fc5
>>>          libgcc_s.so.1(GCC_3.0) is needed by
>>> compat-libstdc++-33-3.2.3-55.fc5
>>>          libgcc_s.so.1(GCC_3.3) is needed by
>>> compat-libstdc++-33-3.2.3-55.fc5
>>>          libgcc_s.so.1(GLIBC_2.0) is needed by
>>> compat-libstdc++-33-3.2.3-55.fc5
>>>          libm.so.6 is needed by compat-libstdc++-33-3.2.3-55.fc5
>>
>> Hm.  This looks to me like output of rpm or yum on a Linux system.  If
>> you're trying to install Linux binary RPMs onto Cygwin, you're in for a
>> world of hurt.  Cygwin != Linux.  You need to build from source on Cygwin.
>>
>Hello there, Larry, and thank you for your reply.
>
>You were right, I indeed tried to install compat-libstdc++ using an RPM
>file. I am still learning Cygwin, so I wasn't sure whether it supports them
>or not (and the RPM's were the first to pop when searching for any sources).
>It seems, however, that now I have faced a problem with GLIBC, which is
>required to update GCC, that I won't be able to deal with (and I haven't
>updated libstdc++ due to this yet)...
>
>Namely, when looking up if I had GLIBC installed, I realized that I didn't
>have it at all. I found GLIBC version 2.14.1, but when I ran "./configure" I
>was presented with the following message:
>
>"You must configure in a separate build directory".

Sorry but it seems like you're seriously confused about what Cygwin is
and how to use it.

The Cygwin web page tries to make it clear that the way to install and
update Cygwin is via the setup.exe program.  You don't use rpm.  You
install packages via setup.exe.  This is similar in concept to a Linux
environment.  Ubunutu has .deb packages, Fedora has .rpms.  We have our
much cruder .tar.bz2 files.  All are meant to be installed via their
respective package managers.

Glibc will not work on Cygwin.  That is not normally an issue since the
Cygwin DLL is supposed to provide much of the glibc functionality.  It's
the whole reason for the Cygwin project in fact.

I've never heard of a package which required you to build glibc.  It is
very unlikely that you need it.

What you likely do need are things like gcc, binutils, make, and random
other libraries, all of which can be installed via setup.exe.  Once you've
installed those, you should be able to run "configure/make" and it is
possible that things will build correctly.

cgf