Re: Request update of TCL and expect packages

On 10/26/2011 3:27 PM, Marco Atzeri wrote:

After chatting with Craig I dug the archives and I presume the main issue is how to upgrade tcl/tk and all the packages that depend froms it assuming that everything works and nothing is broken. The problem was already mentioned long time ago

I hope this isn't a dumb question...

Since TCL is designed to support multiple versions installed simultaneously, and there are already quite a few Cygwin packages that have dependencies on various versions of libraries, why not have a new TCL85 and EXPECT545 packages? Just leave all the other packages that depend on TCL8.4 alone? Perhaps Mr. Miller would volunteer to be the Cygwin package owner for these two new packages. Even if he were to abandon support, the situation would be better since we'd have >much< more modern versions of TCL/EXPECT for Cygwin.