Re: General question on the status of named pipes

On 10/24/2011 06:51 AM, Nathan Thern wrote:
I have several scripts that use named pipes for the purpose of
processing sound files. I use them on both linux and cygwin. After the
switch to cygwin1.7 I converted most of them to the use of tempfiles.
Nevertheless, when encountering old scripts in my archives or when
trying to create efficient new scripts I find myself wishing named
pipes still worked; they are one of the more powerful unix-ish
paradigms.

What's the status/priority of getting named pipes to work in 1.7? And,
just for curiosity's sake, what was the fundamental change in 1.7 that
caused them to stop working? -- They worked great in 1.5.

Actually, named pipes have _never_ worked, at least according to the full set of POSIX rules. It's just that some releases had code that limped along better than in other releases for the particular use cases you happened to throw at them. cgf is working miracles to get it as far along as he has, but it's a very tough job to emulate POSIX fifos on top of windows.