Re: cygwin permissions problem on a network drive

On Oct 21 16:13, Lemke, Michael  SZ/HZA-ZSW wrote:
> On October 21, 2011 12:55 PM Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >On Oct 21 12:15, Lemke, Michael  SZ/HZA-ZSW wrote:
> >> This is by design here.  IT wants it that way.
> >
> >Then "noacl' is the only way for you.
>
> Unless I wait for the next release, right?

No.  If you don't want to get a "Permission denied" error messages every
time some application tries to change the permissions, you will have to
use "noacl".  It seems you don't understand what "acl" vs. "noacl" is
for.  Does reading the User's Guide at
http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#mount-table help?

> >Check with your admin and ask how they make sure that you can't set
> >permissions.  Did they just create a certain set of inheritable
> >permissions or do they use some policy?  That is what I'd like to know.
>
> I don't have a definitive answer yet but it looks like it's a
> policy.  In Windows Explorer I have Full Access for the top level
> dir.  That is inherited by every subdir and files.  But the security
> entry is greyed out, also for subdirs.

Ok, so there is some sort of policy.  It would be nice to get some
"how to set up a share policy which doesn't allow changing permissions
 for dummies" :)

Thanks,
Corinna

Red Hat