Re: rm -rf cannot delete the upmost directory level anymore on a Novell share

On Oct 20 19:29, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Oct 20 15:57, Franz Sirl wrote:
> > Am 2011-10-20 15:09, schrieb Corinna Vinschen:
> > >As I wrote, it's not used, so even if it fails, it's worth a
> > >support case with Novell, but it doesn't mean we have to change
> > >Cygwin.
> >
> > It fails with errorcode 0xc0000022, Access denied.
>
> It might be worth a try to ask the Novell support why this occurs.
> This is a bug, IMHO.  Since Vista, this call should even be supported
> in the Win32 API, using the call
>
>   FILE_BASIC_INFO fbi;
>   GetFileInformationByHandleEx (fhdl, FileBasicInfo, &fbi, sizeof fbi);

> > >So we still have to assume that only DOS filenames work.
> >
> > Hmm, I wonder if I should file at least a low priority enhancement
> > request for that.

> > >Cool, but I think that NcFsd should still be subsumed under NWFS.
> > >The fact that re-opening doesn't quite work isn't such a big problem,
> > >and by using the OBJECT_ATTRIBUTES with a name we can support older
> > >versions of NcFsd as well.
> >
> > Older versions of NcFsd have even more problems with Cygwin, so
> > supporting them doesn't really make sense. It only works reasonable
> > since this years June release. I would prefer to keep this code path
> > exercised :-).
>
> Hmm, that should be possible.  But keep in mind that this does not
> have a better performance on all filesystems.
>
> > >Are you ok if I send you an URL to a test DLL via PM for this issue?
> > >I would add the "handle NcFsd as NWFS" as well to this DLL, otherwise
> > >it would be identical to the latest snapshot, which should be available
> > >now, btw.
> >
> > Sure, PM me the URL. [...]
>
> Thanks, but not today anymore.

Rather than PM, I've just uploaded a snapshot which adds explicit NcFsd
support.  Please give it a try.  NcFsd is marked as having a buggy Query
FileBasicInformation support and as only supporting DOS filenames.  It
is not marked as having a buggy re-open file support and the comment
notes that this is supported starting with IR10, which isn't yet
released, AFAICS.

But there's one more change:  As you observed, NcFsd does not return a
STATUS_SHARING_VIOLATION when trying to open the top level directory for
DELETE, rather trying to set the delete disposition fails with
STATUS_CANNOT_DELETE.  When this error occurs, unlink_nt now also checks
for NcFsd, and if so, it tries delete-on-close as another method to
delete the file/directory.

This is just an experiment, so could you please take this snapshot and
test your fine testcase under strace on W7/NcFsd and send the strace here?

However,  IMHO this is a bug in NcFsd, just like the sharing violation
in NWFS.  Since NcFsd is activaly maintained, it might make sense for
you or any other NcFsd user to open a support case for this problem, just
like for the FileBasicInformation thingy.

Thanks,
Corinna

Red Hat