Mapping "underline" to "colour" - how is the colour determined?

When I (to give an example) execute a "man" command within a mintty
window, and do the same within a "normal" Windows console window, I see
that those words represented as underlined words in the mintty
window, are represented by a different colour in the Windows console
windows.

I guess this different has nothing to do with the "man" command, but by
the way the terminal definition says how render "emphasized" words.
Since the Windows console (likely) can't underline, colouring is used.
It's kind of a "terminal property". Do I understand this correctly?

I would like to understand, where this mapping to a certain colour is
done. Reason is that the colour used for my Windows console window, is a
bit hard to read and I would like to change it.

Any suggestions?

Ronald

--
Ronald Fischer <ronaldf@eml.cc>
+  If a packet hits a pocket on a socket on a port,