Re: error while running shell in emacs

On 10/2/2011 5:35 PM, Ken Brown wrote:
On 9/30/2011 3:04 PM, Ken Brown wrote:
On 9/30/2011 10:27 AM, Markus Hoenicka wrote:
Hi,

after moving to a new position I have set up a fresh Cygwin
installation:

CYGWIN_NT-5.1 sbhc123 1.7.9(0.237/5/3) 2011-03-29 10:10 i686 Cygwin

I use some Emacs extensions which execute external programs using
(call-process). This used to work on my previous setup, but it fails on
my current box. The following command run in Emacs reproduces what seems
to be the problem:

(call-process "bash" nil '(t t) nil "-ic" "ls -al")
bash: Kann die Prozessgruppe des Terminals nicht setzen (-1).:
Inappropriate ioctl for device
bash: Keine Job Steuerung in dieser Shell.

As you can see, my Cygwin also started speaking German, but I didn't get
round to fix that yet. The messages loosely translate to: "cannot set
terminal process group" and "no job control in this shell".

Is this an incorrect setup of either Cygwin or Emacs, or is this indeed
a problem that crept into Cygwin recently?

I can reproduce this problem. It reminds me of a problem that I reported in

http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2011-06/msg00174.html ,

but that started with the 2011-05-05 snapshot and was fixed in the
2011-06-16 snapshot. The problem you're reporting exists in Cygwin 1.7.9
and persists in the latest snapshot, but with different symptoms:
Instead of printing error messages, emacs hangs and has to be killed.

If one of the Cygwin developers wants to look at this, here are the
steps to reproduce it:

1. Start emacs.
2. Type <Ctrl-x>b<Enter>

[This should put you in the *scratch* buffer.]

3. Type (or copy and paste) the following text into the *scratch* buffer:

(call-process "bash" nil '(t t) nil "-ic" "ls -al")

4. With the cursor positioned immediately after the closing parenthesis,
type <Ctrl-j>

FWIW, the change in behavior (i.e., emacs hanging instead of giving an error message) starts with the 2006-06-13 snapshot. And it may be

Ignore the statement that it starts with the 2006-06-13 snapshot. I made a mistake and didn't test enough snapshots. I'll have to continue bisecting. All I know at the moment is that there's an error message in the 2011-05-10 snapshot and that the "hang" occurs in the 2011-06-13 snapshot. There are still a lot of snapshots in between that need testing. Sorry for the noise.

misleading to say that emacs hangs. What happens is that it becomes
unresponsive to key stokes (presumably it's waiting). If I go to another
window and run ps, the bash process shows up with an "S" at the left. If
I kill that process, emacs behaves normally again.