gcc invoked from make on cygwin strips symbols from object file

cccHi all,

I'm porting an application from a Linux environment to Cygwin. During this process I encountered the following: it seems that invoking gcc from a Makefile behaves differently over gcc being invoked directly from the command line. When ggc is invoked from within a Makefile, symbols are stripped from the object file. When gcc is invoked with exactly the same arguments, the symbols remain in the object file.

I've made a small test case, narrowing the problem down.

Consider a C file containing the following:
cyg
#include <stdio.h>

void hello()

{

	printf("Hello world\n");

}

and a Makefile:
hello.o:
	gcc -c hello.c

clean:
	rm -f *.o *.d *.exe

When I run make an object file is build. The output of "nm hello.o" displays:
00000000 b .bss
00000000 d .data
00000000 t .text

If I run "gcc -c hello.c" directly from the command line I get object file for which nm displays:
00000000 b .bss
00000000 d .data
00000000 r .rdata
00000000 t .text
00000000 T _hello
         U _printf

As you can see in the latter case the expected symbols are in the object file. Why are they missing when using the Makefile? I can't get my head around it.

I'm on Cygin 1.7.9, gcc 3.4.4, make 3.81

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Andrà Kwakernaak