Re: How do I run a program compiled in cygwin from a program that is running in a Windows CMD shell?

On 09/15/11 10:28, Ted Byers wrote:
LMH<lmh_users-groups<at> molconn.com> writes:
I am a bit confused as to the role of perl here.
Hi LMH

Thanks

I have an installation of Apache's httpd server; directly from the Apache
website, not the one available through cygwin (in fact, there'd be no point
since that apache install is on a different machine).  And I run a number of
cgi programs written in perl.  That is one role for perl in this setup.
Either stay in the Cygwin world, using an Apache that understands thinks like POSIX paths and symlink or stay *out* of the Cygwin world with the Windows version of ActiveState Perl and Apache which knows nothing about POSIX paths, symlinks and the like. It is your best bet. You can cross the two worlds but you need to be fully cognizant of when you are crossing the boundary and do (as the Indian head hunters say) "the needful" to cross such boundaries.
The other for perl is for my I have a stripped down, basic HTTP Server written
in perl.
Why would you write a web server in Perl and, as you have stated, install a Windows version of Apache?
   I know, I can probably develop the same thing using boost's asio
library,
???
  but in this case, perl and the http server package are so simple to
use, I opted for it.  But I developed it using Activestate's Perl
distribution.  In fact, though I know perl is installed in in my cygwin
environment, I never bothered with it because Activestate's perl package
manager has made it so simple to install the hundreds of perl packages that I
use.  I shudder at the thought of trying to install the same suite of packages
using cpan from the bash commandline.
You actually *use* "hundreds of perl packages"??? Methinks you should rethink your development environment!

Have you researched cpan bundles?

ActiveState may have it's PPM facility but the vast majority of CPAN contributors are Unix/Linux based and care not about PPM.
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
Do Lipton Tea employees take coffee breaks?