"unexpected token" error (cygwin 2.738 make)

I installed cygwin 2.738 on a new Windows 7 system and tried to build
a project from source. I have been able to do this in the past, I
wanted to check if there's any problems with this newer version of
cygwin.

when I type make I get an error message about an unexpected token with
an open parenthesis.

$ make
/bin/sh: -c: line 0: syntax error near unexpected token `('
/bin/sh: -c: line 0: `cd src; PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/
cygdrive/c/Program F
iles (x86)/Windows Resource Kits/Tools:/cygdrive/c/Windows/system32:/cygdrive/c/
Windows:/cygdrive/c/Windows/System32/Wbem:/cygdrive/c/Windows/System32/WindowsPo
werShell/v1.0:/cygdrive/c/Program Files/WIDCOMM/Bluetooth Software:/cygdrive/c/P
rogram Files/WIDCOMM/Bluetooth Software/syswow64:/cygdrive/c/Program Files (x86)
/Common Files/Roxio Shared/DLLShared:/cygdrive/c/Program Files (x86)/Calibre2:/c
ygdrive/c/Program Files (x86)/HMA! Pro VPN/bin:/usr/lib/lapack:@PATH@ make files
'
make: *** [files] Error 1

I checked google and other errors relating to the unexpected token
message and I see for some people it relates to the end of line
characters. I know they differ in *nix and windows. However, I checked
the same source out of svn and it built cleanly on Fedora 15.

Thanks for any help you might be able to provide,
Gwen

PS - I included cygcheck.out although I wasn't sure if it was needed
in this case.