Re: cygwin started speaking German today

On 09/08/2011 11:46 AM, Bruno Haible wrote:
Bernhard Voelker wrote:
Starting with today's update, cygwin started speaking German:

$ mkdir -v x0
mkdir: Verzeichnis ÃâÅx0ÃâÅ angelegt
$ LANG=C mkdir -v x2
mkdir: created directory `x2'
$ LANG=C.UTF-8 mkdir -v x1
mkdir: Verzeichnis ÃâÅx1ÃâÅ angelegt

Default is LANG=C.UTF-8 here.

Ok, the PC is in Germany, but none of my environment
variables have a 'de' inside.

This is as it should be. See the NEWS entry from the gettext package:

* Runtime behaviour:
   - On MacOS X and Windows systems,<libintl.h>  now extends setlocale() and
     newlocale() so that their determination of the default locale considers
     the choice the user has made in the system control panels.

I read this as saying that if _none_ of LANG, LC_MESSAGES, or LC_ALL is set, then libintl is smart enough to choose the system default language. But I still think that if LANG is explicitly C.UTF-8, then the user _has_ made an explicit language request - namely, the same language as for LANG=C (which is more or less English, but not always identical to en_US.UTF-8).

There is nothing to change in cygwin's setlocale implementation, nor in
libintl_setlocale. Both are POSIX compliant.

How is it POSIX compliant to ignore $LANG by using a different language for the C locale? C.UTF-8 is just the C locale with a different charset, not carte-blanche to use the system-default language.