Re: Cygwin DLL 1.7.9 on Windows 7: Can't create files/folders on network drive

Paul <Paul.Domaskis <at> gmail.com> writes:
>Paul <Paul.Domaskis <at> gmail.com> writes:
>>Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin <at> cygwin.com> writes:

>>> Yes.  But keep a copy of the original, just in case.
>>
>> Works like a charm.  Thanks, Corinna.
>
> Correction.  It works except when doing a "cp -p" e.g.:
>
>   cp -p /c/Local/Path/File.txt /i/network/path/File.txt
>
> I have write permission at both the source and destination.
>
> On the other hand, using tar to transport a file from the local
> directory to
> the network directory seems to work:
>
>   cd /c/Local/Path
>   tar cf - File.txt | ( cd /i/network/path ; tar xf - )

I think I know the cause of the permission denial for "cp -p".  The source
files on the local folder have read and execute permission bits set
for "group" and "other".  This probably conflicts with the permissions set on
the network drive (which is my own personal filespace).  When I copy files, I
get the message:

  cp: preserving permissions for `./Temp.txt': Permission denied

However, the file still copies.

When I use the tar command above, it doesn't really respect the original
permission bits when untarring at the destination.  It turns on the user
execution bit.  The following test shows that the user execution bit is
suppose to be off:

    cd /c/Local/Path
    tar cf - File.txt | tar tvf -

P.D.