enabling /largeaddressaware for cygwin in windows 7 64-bit

Hello,

I am not a programming expert, and i wonder if you could give me some basic advice.

I am running cygwin on a 64-bit Dell XPS, running Windows 7, with a Core i5 processor, and 12 GB of RAM installed.

The fortran 90 code I am running keeps running out of memory (virtual memory or stack overflow errors) on jobs that the computer should easily handle.  I have increased the paging memory to 36 MB, but I am afraid that CygWin is still being limited to ~ 1 GB of memory.

My problem is very similar to what is described here:

I followed the instructions at [1] and [2] to increase the heap chunk available to cygwin, but I have also read that adding a /largeaddressaware link might further increase the amount of memory available to cygwin (see [3], which confused me a lot).  I have not been able to find clear instructions about how to do this for cygwin, could you help?

Also, I am interested in any tips about how to maximize the amount of memory available to cygwin given my 64-bit windows 7 setup!  Thanks very much for your kind help to a very helpless geologist!

Will Amidon

[1]  http://www.cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/setup-maxmem.html
[2] http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2010-04/msg00983.html
[3] http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-developers/2011-06/msg00002.html