Re: [bash or DLL] Memory leak in childs

On 7/21/2011 9:12 AM, AZ 9901 wrote:

<snip>

Following your advice and BLODA documentation, I made tests in a fresh
/ newly installed virtual environment (Windows XP / VirtualBox).
I did not notice any problem at all.
So I decided to run tests booting my suffering environment in safe
mode (F8 at boot time, then safe mode).
Once again, no problem at all.

So yes, memory leak is due to background programs which interfer with the OS.

Unfortunately, it is sometime not possible to find out which component
is responsible, and to clean it (production environment,
customers...).
So, my next question is, do you have any advice to avoid or limit memory leak ?
- specific bash scripting method / tips ;
- program to call to free memory ;
- another method to fork that would avoid memory leak (patched DLL,
wrokaround...) ;
- ... ?

Your best bet is to report the problem to the provider of the product that's interfering. You should be able to zero in on the product by booting into safe mode and then turning on, one by one, the services that safe mode omits and running the test. When you see the problem again, you'll know what product is responsible.

Another alternative is to try a snapshot.

<http://cygwin.com/snapshots/>

There have been some recent changes that could help in your situation.

--
Larry