Re: Win7 home premium download: problem or just ignorance. both?

On 2011-07-09 16:45Z, oren goren wrote:
> on my emachine e525 W7 home premium I downloaded/installed per the
> gatech http mirror.
>
> accepting all install defaults I ended up with two desktop icons.
>
> (A)  the cygwin logo named cygwin.  I clicked on it and got (1) 2-3
> sample/suggest command lines, (2) my user id, (3) the prompt. I didn't
> know which if any suggested command to take so exited.

It's a *nix shell--specifically, 'bash'. It's not like a GUI program
that presents a menu from which you pick available actions.

Try the 'ls' command (letter ell, letter ess, Enter). That should list
the files in the current working directory. And 'man ls' tells you
other ways to use that command.

> (B) a folder icon labelled with the gatech url (%3a, %2f for :, /).
> The folder contained  folder 'release' and file setup. 'release
> contained folder containing tars for unix commands.

That directory caches everything that was downloaded. It just makes
it easier to maintain and update your installation. You don't have
to do anything with it yourself--just leave it alone.

> Although the name 'setup' I have not discovered the way - if any - to use it.

The 'setup' program just installs Cygwin. Now that you have it
installed, what were you anticipating you'd use it for?

The "FAQ" and "Documentation" links below may help.