Unable to disown process

I have the following script that I use to tunnel nntp traffic:

   #!/bin/bash
   nohup ssh -NL 1119:news.mozilla.org:119 \
         -L 2119:news.gmane.org:119 \
         -L 3119:nntp.perl.org:119 \
      andrew@defaria.com > /dev/null 2>&1 &

disown

If I run this script it works fine and I'm tunneled. The problem is I cannot exit the terminal in which I invoked this script. When I attempt to do this the terminal hangs. I can close the terminal (mintty BTW) forcefully and the ssh session remains but it was my understanding that disown should allow you to exit the current shell with the backgrounded/disowned process continuing to run. In fact I tested this on RHEL and it worked as expected. What's up with Cygwin?
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
Part of the inhumanity of the computer is that, once it is competently programmed and working smoothly, it is completely honest. - Isaac Asimov