Re: Create file fails on network drives in cygwin-1.7.9-1

On Jun 16 15:30, Pete Forman wrote:
> [retry]
> On 16 June 2011 13:49, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>  > On Jun 16 12:59, Pete Forman wrote:
>  >> I am seeing "Permission denied" errors when trying to create files on
>  >> network drives. Local drives seem okay. Once a file is created with a
>  >> native program I can write to it.
>  >
>  > http://cygwin.com/problems.html
>  >
>  > cygcheck output as descibed on the above page would be helpful in the
>  > first place.
>
> Attached.
>
>  >  $ strace -o touch.trace touch foo.txt
>  >
>  > and attach the touch.trace file to your reply.
> Attached

Thanks.  AFAICS the permissions on that network drive don't allow a
user to set the ACL of a file he or she's just creating.  In contrast
to previous versions, Cygwin 1.7.9 requests the permission for that
right at file creation time.  Unfortunately that fails due to the
weird permission settings on that drive.

Try to mount your drive with the noacl option to some arbitrary mount
point, for instance:

  mount -f -o noacl,binary X: /my_x_drive

and then use the path below that mount point to access the drive.

If that works, you can add the path to your personal fstab
file (see http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#mount-table):

  X: /my_x_drive none noacl,binary,posix=0 0 0

Please report back if it helped.  If so, I'll add some workaround for
this problem to the next Cygwin version.

Corinna

Red Hat