Re: cygcheck's understanding of TZ

On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 10:06:46AM -0500, Edward McGuire wrote:
>> On 2011-06-10 16:21, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>> we still have no idea [...] why you find it so crucial for
>>> cygcheck to report the date with pinpoint accuracy
>
>On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 12:44, Denis Excoffier wrote:
>> Wrong by 1h is not pinpoint accuracy (i think).
>
>I realize I don't have a vote, but I disagree with your patch. Idiot
>proofing cygcheck(1) by forcing GMT on the user is overkill.
>cygcheck(1) only gives invalid output when it gets invalid input.
>Did cygcheck(1) and date(1) both give valid output with
>TZ=CET-1CEST?

FWIW, I'm not going to apply the patch.  I may think about accepting a
patch which displays the current timezone along with the current time or
which causes cygcheck to understand Cygwin's TZ usage but there is no
reason to force the date to UTC.  It's supposed to be the "Current
System Time" and that implies that it's the time the user expects when
they look at the clock on their wall.

I'm trying to be accommodating in case there is a valid concern lurking
somewhere here but so far I think this whole discussion is really rather
tempest in a teapot-y.

cgf