Multi-term in Emacs under Cygwin doesn't correctly identify terminal type?

Hi All,

I've installed Cygwin on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. After a rebaseall,
Cygwin works nicely. However, I use multi-term in my default Emacs
setup, and multi-term doesn't seem to like Cygwin at all.

It looks as though multi-term isn't correctly identifying the terminal
type. It's writing what I think are control characters visibly in the
buffer, and simple things like clear and linefeeds don't work.

Here's what it looks like at startup:

http://i.stack.imgur.com/RJYDy.jpg

Could someone please suggest a way of getting this working? I'm very
used to having multiple terminals available in Emacs on Linux, & would
hate to lose this functionality under Cygwin.

P.S. I've also asked this question over on SuperUser, & there's an
as-yet-unclaimed +50 bounty on it.  See:

http://superuser.com/questions/288798/multi-term-in-emacs-under-cygwin-doesnt-correctly-identify-terminal-type

--
Duncan Bayne
ph: +61 420 817 082?|?web: http://www.fluidscape.com/?|?skype: duncan_bayne