Re: file system name case insensitivity issue: Possible inclusion for the FAQ or User Manual?

On May 26 15:57, Lee D. Rothstein wrote:
> On 5/26/2011 3:35 PM, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> >On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 02:28:53PM -0400, Lee Rothstein wrote:
> >>Issue: Possible confusing consequences of CYGWIN variable option:
> >>glob:noignorecase
> >>
> >>What follows is an edited transcript of my confusion about trying
> >>to find the command "xwin" (and eventual resolution), having
> >>forgotten about its capitalization. More specifically, I was
> >>trying to figure out if it was a binary or a script (not having
> >>used X in the last year, or so).
> >>
> >>BTW, the reason I had glob:noignorecase set was to catch
> >>capitalization errors on HTML file names I develop for a
> >>LAMP server.
> >Re: http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-cygwinenv.html
> >
> >   (no)glob[:ignorecase] - if set, command line arguments containing
> >   UNIX-style file wildcard characters (brackets, question mark, asterisk,
> >   escaped with \) are expanded into lists of files that match those
> >   wildcards.  This is applicable only to programs running from a DOS
> >   command line prompt.  Default is set.
> >
> >There was no DOS command line prompt in anything below.
> >
> True. So, you're saying that 'glob:noignorecase' had no effect on
> the commands executed. Then the issue that the transcript reveals
> is that in Cygwin, case sensitivity only affects filename specs
> if globbing is used. That may, in fact, have been covered somewhere
> in the documentation. (?)

You got that wrong.  The CYGWIN=glob:... option only affects how
globbing is performed on the command line arguments if the Cygwin
process has been started from a native Windows process.  Full stop.

Now, actual filename case sensitivity is an entirely different issue.
This is handled by a registry setting, the ability of the underlying
filesystems to handle filenames case sesitive, and the settings of
the Cygwin mount point:

http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-specialnames.html#pathnames-casesensitive
http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#mount-table

Corinna