Re: Does Latex/Tex install? Does Latex/Tex work? How do you get it installed? How do you get it to work?

tetex is dead and buried.
Indeed, http://www.tug.org/tetex/ says:
De-support notice

I (Thomas Esser) have decided not to make new releases of teTeX any
more (May 2006).

In fact, newer (la)tex packages tend not to work with tetex.

Perhaps it is time for cygwin to switch to Tex Live.

On 26 May 2011 21:20, Ken Brown <kbrown@cornell.edu> wrote:
> On 5/26/2011 3:16 PM, Ryan Johnson wrote:
>>
>> On 26/05/2011 2:33 PM, Lee Rothstein wrote:
>>>
>>> I have never been able to get the Tex stuff to work. I've never
>>> even been able to install it successfully.
>>>
>>> I admit it, I'm a dolt.
>>>
>>> Anybody have the "magic beans" on this?
>>>
>>> I've tried installing and reinstalling. Never can get it to work.
>>
>> As it happens, I'm running tetex as we speak. It's never been a problem
>> for me, except the time I had MikTex in my cygwin path and the two
>> fought. I don't know anything about ec-fonts or jadetex, though. Here
>> are the cygwin packages I have installed:
>>
>> tetex          3.0.0-3
>> tetex-base       Â3.0.0-3
>> tetex-bin        3.0.0-3
>> tetex-extra       3.0.0-3
>> tetex-tiny       Â3.0.0-3
>>
>>> Problem reports: Â Â Â http://cygwin.com/problems.html
>>
>> You didn't say what OS or version of cygwin you're running, but assuming
>> it's 1.7 you might try a fresh install to, say, c:\cygwin-tex, which
>> includes only the base packages and tetex. It won't harm your existing
>> install in any way, and you should be able to use the saved packages
>> from previous downloads rather than having to download again.
>>
>> If that works you probably have a corrupted cygwin installation (which
>> would make sense given all the strange errors you mention); if it
>> doesn't work then something really weird is going on.
>
> Another alternative if the OP wants a modern TeX system is TeX Live
> (http://www.tug.org/texlive/). ÂIt supports Cygwin OOTB.
>
> Ken

Dmitrii