Re: Cygwin and Windows Paths Leaking Through

On 5/26/2011 4:17 PM, sweinberger wrote:

> Here's your problem: binutils and gcc don't support compiling "in the
>> source tree".  You need to create a separate, empty build directory
>> *outside* the src directory, and run configure/make in there.
>
> I did just that.
>
> I downloaded binutils-2.21 and expanded everything into a new empty folder.
> Here is where I downloaded everything to:
>
> /usr/local/binutils-2.21.
>
> /binutils-2.21 is a new folder.
>
> I changed directories to that folder, executed the .configure line, in my
> case,
>
> ./configure --target=mips-elf
>
> and I then entered "make" (without the double quotes).

No, that's exactly what you should NOT do: you are attempting to build
inside the same folder where the source is.

You need to create a DIFFERENT (really empty, as opposed to full of a
bunch of source files) folder, say:

/usr/local/build-binutils/

and do this:

$ cd /usr/local/build-binutils/
$ /usr/local/binutils-2.21/configure (options)
$ make

--
Chuck