Re: Compiled Program System Calls Failing Code 127

On 5/16/2011 4:07 PM, Leon Vanderploeg wrote:
Greetings,

I have a compiled C program that is installed on several servers.  It makes
system calls to programs such as rsync, and has worked fine until now.  I
recently installed it on two Server 2008R2 boxes, identical hardware.  Both
are Cygwin 1.7.9.  C:\cygwin\bin is added to the Windows PATH variable on
both machines.  The program runs fine on one box, but on the other box, the
system calls return 127.

http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2006-08/msg00347.html says /bin/sh can’t be
found.  At the escalated command prompt, bash and sh start appropriate
shells (although the which command points to /usr/bin/xxx) on both machines.

Any idea what could be causing this behavior?

No, not really. But I'd say it would be worth a look to see how the two environments differ, including permissions. cygcheck output from the two machines might help you understand at least some of this. If not, you may have to do some debugging of the code on both machines to find the problem.

-- Larry