RE: Background processes prevent terminal window from closing

Ryan Dortmans sent the following at Thursday, May 05, 2011 12:30 AM
>I have found that background processes prevent the terminal window from
>closing. I have tried with the cmd terminal as well as mintty. Here is a
>simple example:
>
>$ notepad .profile &
>[1]
>10260
>$ exit
>logout
>
>The window remains until I close the notepad window. I have also
>reproduced the issue using a simple looping shell script instead of a
>windows program.
>
>I thought that running disown would detach the process to turn it into a
>daemon, but this has no effect.
>
>Is there any way to detach running background processes such that the
>terminal can be closed?

Why not use cygstart to launch it already "detached"?

You might create the following alias in your profile or .bashrc.

alias notepad="cygstart '$(cygpath -u -W)/notepad.exe'"

But if you do not want to be limited file in the current working
directory, use a function.

notepad ()
{
    cygstart "$(cygpath -u -W)/notepad.exe" "$(cygpath -w "$1")"
}

You might have to change -W to -S in the first cygpath, if notepad.exe
is in $SYSDIR but not WINDIR.  (In my instance of XP, it is in both.)

Best wishes,

- Barry