Re: CYGWIN withholds error message when trying to run 64-bit binary on 32-bit PC

On Apr 29 17:52, John Ottusch wrote:
> I have a Windows console application that I build in both 32-bit and 64-bit
> versions. They both have the same name (fsr.exe).
>
> The 32-bit version runs from a CYGWIN bash shell console window on a 32-bit PC
> and a 64-bit PC. The 64-bit version runs from a Cygwin bash shell console window
> only on a 64-bit PC.
>
> If a user mistakenly runs the 64-bit version from a CYGWIN bash shell console
> window on a 32-bit Windows PC he gets this message:
>
> bash: ./fsr.exe: Permission denied
>
> That's not very revealing.
>
> On the other hand, if he launches the same command from a CMD console window on
> the same 32-bit Windows PC, he gets this back:
>
> This version of fsr.exe is not compatible with the version of Windows you're
> running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need a x86
> (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software
> publisher.
>
> The second result is closer to what I was hoping for.
>
> So my question is this: Why isn't CYGWIN responding with the more helpful error
> message and is there anything I can do to make it respond that way instead?

THe problem is that the Win32 error code ERROR_EXE_MACHINE_TYPE_MISMATCH
isn't mapped to a POSIX errno.  Thus it's converted to the default EACCES.
I checked in a patch to CVS which maps the error code to ENOEXEC.

Corinna

Red Hat