Re: Enable logging remote ssh contacts

Renà Berber-2 wrote:

> On 4/27/2011 2:31 AM, Fokke Nauta wrote:
>
> [snip]
>> I guess it works, but until yet I have not been able to open the file
>> messages, as access is denied, even after stopping the syslog service.
>
> On Windows XP?  It should be readable by everybody.
>
> What permissions and ownership do you see for the log?  For instance, I
> see:
>
> $ ll /var/log
> total 996K
> drwxrwxrwx+ 1 rberber None    0 Apr  1 19:10 ./
> drwxr-xr-x  1 rberber None    0 Aug 14  2010 ../
> -rw-r--r--  1 SYSTEM  root 627K Apr 27 10:38 autossh.log
> -rw-r--r--+ 1 rberber None    0 Dec  3 17:29 messages
>
> autossh is running as a service, I don't have syslog-ng running so
> messages is empty, both files are world readable.
> --
> Renà Berber

Hi RenÃ,

I don't have any ll in the shell. Not recognized.
So I can't see the
I have syslog-ng running. Should I replace that by autossh?
Strange enough the file /var/log/messages could not be opened by Windows.
Tried with Textpad and Notepad. In both occasions it said: "access denied".
So I installed cron and now copy /var/log/messages to a different location
every 10 minutes. I can now read that file from Windows. However, copying
that file creates an entry in the /var/log/messages file.
So better quit syslog-ng and cron and use autossh instead?

Fokke