Re: ld: fatal error - cmalloc would have returned NULL

On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 03:40:48PM +0100, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>On Mar 18 11:23, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

>> > That setting should have nothing to do with cmalloc().  cmalloc is for
>> > Cygwin's internal heap which has nothing to do with that setting.
>> >
>> > Didn't Corinna already mention this?
>>
>> In this case the bigger heap seems to avoid the aggressive use of small
>> mmap chunks which in turn disallows to raise the cygheap size.  Without
>> analyzing the whole situation there's not much else to say or do.  This
>> is YA case which screams loudly for a testcase...
>
>I created an extensive testcase(*) and it turned out that the current
>algorithm to allocate memory on the cygheap is wasting a lot of memory.
>Actually it organizes the memory in buckets, each of which cares for a
>specific size as a power of 2.  So memory on the cygheap is always
>allocated in chunks of 4 byte, 8 byte, 16 byte, 32 byte, etc.  Plus,
>every chunk needs extra 8 byte for bookkeeping.

Right.  That's a fairly classic implementation of malloc which was, in
this case, implemented by DJ Delorie.  I chose that from a few other
implementations because it was, at the time, supposed to be the best
tradeoff between speed and memory usage.  But, back when I implemented
the cygheap it wasn't used as much as it is now, which I guess is
fairly obvious.

cgf