Re: ITP dos2unix 5.2.1-1

On 3/18/2011 2:47 AM, Erwin Waterlander wrote:
> I will create a branch for cygwin. I think that for temporary and
> redundant options it may be better  to silently accept them and not
> document them.

We are still not communicating.

I do NOT propose that the new options -- whether you call the redundant
or not -- be temporary or cygwin specific.  I propose that they be
adopted, wholesale, for all platforms.  I think the --follow option is a
valuable alternate behavior that is different and distinct from anything
the current option set allows.

I believe --no-follow and --safe, being opposites of the new option and
and existing option, respectively, are necessary for proper CLI design.
 Just like rm has both -i and -f.

The ONLY part that I propose be temporary, and /NOT/ be committed to any
source repository anyway, and simply carried as part of the cygwin
packaging until no longer needed, is the bit that switches the default
behavior on cygwin from --no-follow (as everywhere else) to --follow.

> Existing scripts will not break, but usage of temporary
> options is discouraged and it saves work on translations. Usage of such
> an option may even trigger a warning that it will be removed in a future
> release. Then people have time to adapt.

Since I propose that the new options all stay, and propagate, I realize
this means extra translation work.  I'm not qualified for that, but I
CAN cut-n-paste in all the translations those that correspond to new
lines of code which were themselves cut-n-pasted from existing lines of
code (several of the "new" error messages are cut-n-paste like this).  I
didn't have time to do this last night, and I can't help with the
entirely new tranlatable strings, but I figured code first, .pot files
later.

In discussing these:
	01-avoid-hardlink-exist-error.patch
	02-cygwin-defines-win32-but-isnt.patch
	03-add--safe-option.patch
	04-add-follow-no-follow--infile-only.patch
	05-rationalize-logic-flow.patch
	06-add-ResolveSymbolicLink-function.patch
	07-support-follow-no-follow--outfile.patch
	08-use-canonicalize-file-name-glibc24-cygwin17.patch
ignore the fact that some were developed to mimic cygutils' existing
behavior.

Some are just plan bugfixes (01, 02).

One (05) is an attempt to make the code flow in *NewFile() and
*OldFile() similar (and bugfix: set error retval even when Quiet, if
there's an error).

The rest (03, 04, 06-08) add new and IMO valuable options to the
dos2unix package without changing current behavior.

Don't bother with a special cygwin-only branch.  Let's just discuss
these patches, for trunk, on their own merits.

BTW, do you have a more appropriate forum for those discussions, than
this mailing list?  A dedicated list or something?

> Useful options will end up in trunk. In the end there will be a single
> source for Cygwin and Linux, and both will take advantage of it.

As I said, I see no need for a branch, that differs from trunk only by:
-  pFlag->Follow = 0;
+  pFlag->Follow = 1;
in two places.

>> With regards to the d2u/u2d aliases, for now I'd just modify the cygport
>> script to create those as hardlinks, and not modify or patch the package
>> source at all.
>>
>> Standby...
>
> Do you want d2u/u2d to run conv, or the new dos2unix/unix2dos?

The new versions.

--
Chuck