Re: ITP dos2unix 5.2.1-1

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 10:13:51AM -0400, Andrew Schulman wrote:
>> Moved to main cygwin list for more feedback.
>>
>> Background: currently the following utilities
>> 	unix2dos
>> 	dos2unix
>> 	u2d
>> 	d2u
>> are all provided by the cygutils package. They are, in fact, all
>> hardlinks/copies of the same 'conv.exe' program, developed specifically
>> for cygwin.
>>
>> We have a proposal to provide the "dos2unix" package instead, and
>> removing these utilities from cygutils.  For more info, see:
>> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2011-03/msg00067.html
>> and following.
>
>Personally I'd rather have the same tool in Cygwin as in Linux, because it
>maximizes the portability of my (common) shell startup scripts and aliases.
>Changing those one time to eliminate a special case is no problem.
>
>That said, this isn't a tool I have to use much, so my investment in it is
>pretty light.

We're really looking for specific observations here not general.  We're
trying not to break things for people who already are used to the Cygwin
behavior.

Are you saying that you've actually had to modify scripts because of
differences in behavior between Cygwin and Linux's dos2unix?  If so, that
actually sounds like you've made accommodations which could break if
dos2unix were to change.

cgf