Debugging help for fork failure: resource temporarily unavailable

Hi all,

I'm hitting the oh-so-delightful fork failures when trying to compile a cross-compiler toolchain, which is a pain because one fork failure makes crosstool-ng start over. I've rebased, I've been over the BLODA (Windows Defender slipped in even after I rejected the download), and while they definitely helped there's likely to be at least one fork failure while compiling a big project like glibc.

So, now comes my plea (I don't know enough about cygwin to do this myself). It seems like the usual culprit -- dll injection in the child at an address that the parent already used -- could easily be diagnosed by the code which notices and aborts the fork: given two dlls which want to use the same address in the child process, the one at a different address in the parent is probably to blame. Fingering this offending DLL, either as part of the fork failure message or in a log file of some sort, would make it infinitely easier for users to diagnose the problem, and would also give a much clearer idea of what really went wrong (we could order the BLODA by how often each app causes headaches, for example).

Might it be possible to do an LD_PRELOAD of some sort which hooks into fork() at the critical moment and prints the differences between /proc/$parent/maps and /proc/$child/maps? The code doesn't even need to be efficient; it just needs to be able to run when whatever internal helper of fork() returns an error but before the nascent child process is terminated.

If there exists such a convenient instrumentation point, I might be up to the task of exploiting it, but I wouldn't know where to start.

Thoughts? Ideas?
Ryan