Re: winmm.dll error 487 is easily reproducible

On 3/4/2011 10:11 AM, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 04, 2011 at 05:03:53AM -0500, Rafael Kitover wrote:
>> I was just shutting everything down, going to c:\cygwin and untarring
>>from msysGit.
>
> I don't understand why that would be if you're using a version of
> Cygwin's tar.

He's not. He's using an msys tar from (yet another) fork of the
mingw.org MSYS project -- probably in an attempt to avoid the
"cygwin1.dll is in use" problem.  However, if it's not clear by now:
this is a REALLY BAD idea...

>> But apparently that's not correct because now I have stuff in
>> C:\cygwin\usr\bin .

...and that's why.  msys has its own definition of "/usr", doesn't
respect cygwin's mounts OR symlinks, and msys 'tar -x' won't even CREATE
symlinks -- symlink-to-files are faked using hardlinks, and
symlink-to-dirs are faked by creating the directory, and recursively
"symlinking"  (e.g. hardlinks) the contents.

Don't do this.

--
Chuck