Re: ssh ... PTY allocation request failed on channel 0

On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 12:24 PM, Dave Korn wrote:
> On 01/03/2011 01:45, Mirko Vukovic wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am trying to ssh to git@github.com, and I get the error
>> "PTY allocation request failed on channel 0"
>
> ?I get that too, but I also get the "You've successfully authenticated, but
> GitHub does not provide shell access" message. ?I think the error is at their
> end and can be safely ignored since you don't need a PTY for your no shell
> access anyway. ?If it didn't happen last week, they probably upgraded the ssh
> version on the server or tweaked a config setting related to error reporting
> or something like that.
>
> ?Ah, yes: it appears to be expected behaviour - and quite a FAQ!
>
> http://support.github.com/discussions/accounts/327-ssh-gitgithubcom-pty-allocation-request-failed-on-channel-0
> http://support.github.com/discussions/accounts/981-ssh-authentication-failure
> http://support.github.com/discussions/repos/3074-pty-allocation-request-failed-on-channel-0
> http://support.github.com/discussions/repos/5325-pty-allocation-request-failed-on-channel-0-revisited
>
> ? ?cheers,
> ? ? ?DaveK

The reason I thought something was wrong (despite the FAQs)
was that using ssh 4.3p2 (on my RHEL5), I get an OK response
when doing ssh git@github.com

Also, identical operations between linux & cygwin fail:

If I create a repo on github (following procedure here:
http://help.github.com/create-a-repo/),
I can push stuff to it from my rhel5 with ssh 4.3p2, but not from
cygwin ssh 5.8p1
This is from work.

After you guys pointed out that everything should be OK, despite the PTY
message, from *home* I tried several git operations (initialize,
clone, push pull) from
my cygwin laptop to github.com  and they worked. (again, from home,
not from behind the
corporate network).

So, to summarize,

- from work, I can access github using ssh 4.3, but not ssh 5.8 (I get
 `connection reset by peer', or` remote end hang up unxepectedly'),
- from home, ssh 5.8 gives me the PTY error, but I can perform push
  to github.

I'm attaching the cygcheck output.  (And I am going to read the release notes
for ssh)

Mirko