Re: Preremove/postinstall scripts fail with snapshot installed

On Feb 12 10:31, Ken Brown wrote:
> On 2/12/2011 9:58 AM, Ken Brown wrote:
> >On 2/12/2011 9:25 AM, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >>The last Cygwin address in this call stack (61066A75) is an entirely
> >>harmless line in an entirely harmless function in a piece of code taken
> >>from FreeBSD.  From there it goes downhill through at least two Windows
> >>DLLs (all address starting with 7).  The joke is that this last Cygwin
> >>address in the call stack is practically unable to generate an access
> >>violation *and* it does not call any Windows function.  I habe no idea
> >>why that happens, but it tastes a lot like a BLODA problem.
> >
> >Did you test it with the latest Windows updates installed?  The only
> >thing I can think of that changed on the two computers where I have this
> >issue is that there was a Windows update the night before the problem
> >started.  I might try rolling back the update before I start searching
> >for BLODA.
>
> I just did a system restore to undo the last round of Windows
> updates, and the problem went away.  I'm not sure where to go from
> here.

You're right, I can reproduce it on W7 32 and 64 bit.  I reverted all
security updates from last Tuesday, rebooted, and the problem went
away.  On another machine I kept the security updates but reverted
Cygwin to 1.7.7 instead and the problem also went away.

So this problem occurs on Windows 7 and perhaps Vista only with recent
Cygwin snapshots or current CVS, only with the latest security updates
installed and, for some reason, only when calling postinstall scripts
from setup.exe.  Calling the same scripts from an interactive bash works
fine.

The 2010-10-18 snapshot is the snapshot which reintroduced the ability
to remove in-use directories by accessing an undocumented structure in
Vista/Windows 7.  Looks like MSFT had to change something which breaks
an application using this structure in a very specifc scenario, which is
unfortunately exposed by running bash from setup.exe :-(

By installing the security updates again, one by one, I figure out
that it is the security update connected to KB 2393802 which triggers
the problem.

But, be it as it is, it doesn't make sense to ask people not to install
the security updates, so I fear it's "back to the drawing board" for
Cygwin.  Sigh.

Thanks for the report,
Corinna

Red Hat