Re: On "write" command

On Jan 31 11:54, Dave Korn wrote:
> On 31/01/2011 01:52, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
> > No, that's the correct place to search.  If it's not showing up, none of
> > the current packages provide 'write'.
>
>   It's part of util-linux, but it's configured out of the build on Cygwin,
> because it relies on a working utmp file to operate.  Which we don't have.
> Hmm, I'm in the middle of a gcc testrun right now and can't rebuild my DLL,
> but I noticed a few "interesting" points about the code:
>
> winsup/cygwin/include/utmpx.h
>
> > /* Must be kept in sync with struct utmp as defined in sys/utmp.h! */
> > struct utmpx
> > {
> >  short	ut_type;
> >  pid_t	ut_pid;
> >  char	ut_line[UT_LINESIZE];
> >  char   ut_id[UT_IDLEN];
> >  time_t ut_time;
> >  char	ut_user[UT_NAMESIZE];
> >  char	ut_host[UT_HOSTSIZE];
> >  long	ut_addr;
> >  struct timeval ut_tv;
> > };
>
> winsup/cygwin/include/sys/utmp.h
>
> > struct utmp
> > {
> >  short	ut_type;
> >  pid_t	ut_pid;
> >  char	ut_line[UT_LINESIZE];
> >  char  ut_id[UT_IDLEN];
> >  time_t ut_time;
> >  char	ut_user[UT_NAMESIZE];
> >  char	ut_host[UT_HOSTSIZE];
> >  long	ut_addr;
> > };
>
>   That could explain why successive calls to getutent() appear to "lose frame"
> across the contents of utmp.  Also,
>
> winsup/cygwin/syscalls.cc
>
> > /* Note: do not make NO_COPY */
> > static struct utmp utmp_data_buf[16];
> > static unsigned utix = 0;
> > #define nutdbuf (sizeof (utmp_data_buf) / sizeof (utmp_data_buf[0]))
> > #define utmp_data ({ \
> >   if (utix > nutdbuf) \
> >     utix = 0; \
> >   utmp_data_buf + utix++; \
> > })
>
>   I haven't slept all night, but isn't that going to overrun by one?  Anyway
> with the fix to utmp.h to add ut_tv (and a #include <sys/time.h>), write.exe
> compiles and works...

The utmp file is in the old utmp format for backward compatibility.  The
utx functions are available and return a ut_tv field, but it's just
extracted from the utmp ut_time field at function call time.  The right
thing to do for write is to have a autoconf test for the ut_tv field
and not using it, if it's not available.

In theory we should switch to a utmpx file at one point.  When we do
this, we can also add the ut_addr_v6 field, which is missing so far.

Corinna

Red Hat