Re: Tcl file separator

On 1/25/2011 4:48 PM, Nellis, Kenneth wrote:
From: Nellis, Kenneth
I'm thinking that Cygwin Tcl's "pwd" should match Cygwin's and
that "file separator" should return a Linux one.

knellis@COBQDPPJ1 ~
$ pwd
/cygdrive/d/cyghome/knellis

knellis@COBQDPPJ1 ~
$ /cygdrive/c/cygwin/bin/tclsh84.exe
% pwd
D:/cyghome/knellis
% file separator
\
%

I was hoping my OP would get some traction. It seems the basic purpose of Tcl's set of "file" commands is to allow one to write platform-independent scripts that need to manipulate pathnames. The Cygwin implementation seems to be broken.

You've touched on a subject with lots of history and as such, I expect that's mostly the reason your previous post doesn't result in more response. I'll let you wade through the email archives if you're interested in all the nitty-gritty of that history but a quick summary of the current state is that TCL/TK on Cygwin is built to support Insight and on Windows Insight wants a Windows environment (mostly).

--
Larry