Re: Invoking GUI programs over SSH

On 01/17/2011 05:06 PM, David Antliff wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 11:06, Jeremy Bopp wrote:
>> Is it possible that Synplify Pro is attempting to access some network
>> resource or a special dongle for verifying its registration or something
>> similar?
>
> There's no dongle but there is a license server it needs to
> communicate with. I'll investigate that, although based on experience
> it usually just blurts out "no license, goodbye". I'll check
> permissions as well.

You might also want to try to figure out what rights your shell process
has when run locally vs. remotely over SSH.  I also believe there are
some potentially significant differences when logged in remotely
depending on whether you use password vs. pubkey authentication.

I don't have a Windows system nearby at the moment, but I would guess
that there should be a counterpart to editrights that will show you the
current rights assigned.  Maybe someone else will be able to name the
tool if it exists before I get back to my work computer tomorrow.

> Do you know if there is an equivalent tool to
> 'strace' for Windows that I can use to log all syscalls/file/resource
> accesses made by a program and its threads?

I think you'll want to try Sysinternals Process Monitor:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645

I haven't used it before, but I have used its predecessors RegMon and
FileMon.  They can generate copious amounts of information and filter
that information fairly granularly, so this newer tool should be able to
do so as well.  It's a GUI tool though, so you'll likely have to start
it running locally prior to running your remote access tests.

-Jeremy