Re: mingw-targeted cross-compiler question

On 12/16/2010 7:55 AM, NightStrike wrote:
> 2010/12/16 Frédéric Bron <...>:
>>> I checked the Make file, it used this flag:
>>> gcc -mno-cygwin -g -Wl,--add-stdcall-alias -Wl,--export-all-symbols ...
>>
>> replace gcc by gcc-3
>> gcc 4 is now the default on cygwin but the cross compiler is not
>> supported for that version.
>> Frédéric
>
> What do you mean by not supported?  JonY maintains the cross compilers....

I think Frédéric just mis-stated: he was referring to 'gcc -mno-cygwin'
as "the cross compiler" which it really isn't, and never was.  It just
acted /almost/ like one.

The mingw64-{i686,x86_64} cross compilers are certainly supported, but
they do require configuring with --host={i686,x86_64}-w64-mingw32 (or,
in some cases, explicitly setting $CC) which is somewhat different that
the old procedure using 'gcc{-3} -mno-cygwin'; this difference can be
confusing to some users.

However, I have to point out the obvious: i686-w64-mingw32-gcc does
*not* produce the same code that a hypothetical cygwin 'gcc-4
-mno-cygwin' would, because cygwin's gcc would use the mingwrt and
w32api runtime headers and libs, not the mingw64's corresponding runtime
headers and libs.  The ITP'ed mingw-gcc cross compiler *would* be the
equivalent of 'gcc-4 -mno-cygwin' once it is accepted.

However, users like the OP would be free to use any of the three
mingw-ish cross compilers, with perfectly valid results.  In many ways,
the mingw64- offerings have more thorough support for the complete
w32api...but the (still unofficial) mingw cross compiler is compatible
with the mingw.org offerings...

--
Chuck