Re: bash-completion 1.2-1 breaks bash with tail -f

Alpha Fighter <alphafighter1 <at> yahoo.com> writes:

> I've run into an issue with bash-completion v1.2-1. After I tail -f a file
and then press ctrl-c to stop
> tailing I can no longer see any text I type. My text is being entered, just
not being ... echoed back.

> This does not happen after uninstalling 1.2-1. It also does not happen if I
downgrade to bash-completion
> v1.1-2. I experienced this on a fresh clean install of cygwin (with
bash-completion 1.2-1 of course).

> This has been a maddening problem for me the past few days. Hopefully this
post will save some time for
> anyone else running into this problem.

I think I found the answer to this in the below link:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.os.cygwin/123036/match=bash+completion

I defaulted my ~/.bashrc and uncommented out the completion case statement and
saved it.  Then I exited out of bash, started bash, and tested with the "tail -f
some_text_file.txt" command and hit Ctrl-c and then I typed "ls" and I saw "ls"
so I *might* have fixed it.

Frankly I think this is a bug because no one is going to remember to look at the
above linked announcement when installing bash-completion!