Re: Syntax highlighting not working in vim73

On 11/9/2010 7:14 PM, Harrington, John wrote:
Thank you very much, Larry.  This worked, though perhaps not for the reason
you expected.  Excuse the long description that follows, but the fix raised
some issues that I thought I should report.

. . .

7.3.3 is the one I thought I installed.  I don't recall installing a separate
utility "vim 7.1", but I guess I must have.  In any case, I'm very satisfied
that "vi" is now showing syntax.  It puzzles me a bit that the specific
command "vim" still does not work with syntax, but since I never type "vim"
(I could easily reverse the above alias, I suppose), I am not concerned.

This is indeed wrong. All your vim-related executables should be symbolic links to more links under '/etc/alternatives'. See "/etc/postinstall/vim.sh.*" for details of what should be linked where. Your '/usr/bin/vim' is apparently the actual executable from a previous version (7.1). If nothing else, I'd recommend you remove '/usr/bin/vim.exe' to avoid future confusion/problems.