Re: cygwin + xwin in win7 as unprivileged user?

It's a multiuser windows 7 lab environment where the only thing I can count
on is that the individual users will do whatever they want to.  I'm having
to forcibly kill the x-windows process rather than just use a plain signal
termination.  It's ignoring a vanilla taskkill.  I haven't tried kill from
inside cygwin.

>> On 06/10/2010 16:10, davidstvz wrote:
>>> I have done additional testing on this problem and it seems that the
>>> first
>>> user to login and run 'startxwin' owns all of the log and lock files and
>>> this is what is causing the problem.  The first user can continue using
>>> xwin
>>> without issues, but no other users can do it after that.
>>>
>>> If someone would upgrade xwin to to make these file names unique for
>>> each
>>> user it should solve the problem.  Meanwhile, I'm envisioning several
>>> workarounds.
>>
>> The log file issue is discussed and a workaround given at [1]
>>
>> The lock file should be removed on xwin exit, so should not be a problem
>> unless xwin is crashing for you, in which case report that problem.
>>
>> Making the lock file name unique per user is a non-solution, as it
>> prevents it
>> from locking against multiple simultaneous uses of the same display
>> number.
>>
>> [1] http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2010-08/msg00090.html
>
> Ah, I see how that is a non-solution.  I should stick to what I know.
>
> In any case, XWin is not crashing per se, instead when I type "exit" from
> the initial xterminal and exit cygwin (or press the windows close button)
> it
> remains running in the background.  So to open it again, I have to first
> terminate it from the task manager which I suppose qualifies as a crash.

Is there some reason why you can't use the 'Exit' menu item from the
right-click menu of the X icon in the system tray area?

XWin should also respond by shutting down cleanly if you send it SIGTERM,
e.g.
'killall XWin'