Re: R: Cygwin 1.7.7 fork/exec performance MUCH slower than 1.5.25

testing on /tmp/benchmark with XPS P2

cygwin 1.7.8s 20100924

You're testing on the latest snapshot against his cygwin 1.7.7 results. This gives me hope that Cygwin can become faster because Sagi Ben-Akiva was willing to track down the cause of the slowdown [1]. Last I read, it's not clear whether the latest CVS changes are faster though [2]. However, it's probably worth trying out the 20100926 snapshot.

We haven't mentioned yet whether we are running under 32-bit or 64-bit Windows. It would be useful to know whether the problem only affects 64-bit Windows or not. Looking at the code changes, I would have thought it would equally affect 32-bit Windows.

1. http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2010-08/msg00964.html
2. http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2010-09/msg00796.html

Regards,
-Edward