Re: 1.7.7(0.230/5/3) - Cannot change mode of file, and other permission issues on a Windows fileshare

On Sep 27 10:12, Keith Christian wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 12:57 PM, Corinna Vinschen> Nevertheless, are
> you really sure you tried the "noacl" mount option for
> > this share? ÂThe "noacl" option results in trying to open the file a
> > second time, with just the READ_CONTROL and FILE_WRITE_ATTRIBUTES access
> > rights. ÂThis should work in most cases.
>
> Hi Corinna,
>
> Here is the /etc/fstab file with a line to mount Z: with noacl.  The
> computer was shut down and rebooted twice.
>
> The line as written below made no difference, still getting the same
> errors and failures when checking files into RCS on the network share.
>  I've moved the work directory to the local hard drive and RCS
> checkins and checkouts work fine.
>
> Do I have the correct syntax for the Z: line below?
>
> cat /etc/fstab
> # For a description of the file format, see the Users Guide
> # http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#mount-table
>
> Z: /cygdrive/z ntfs binary posix=0 user noumount auto noacl 0 0

That doesn't work, for a couple of reasons.

- You can't override the /cygdrive path for a single drive.  The
  cygdrive prefix mount options will still rule.

- The mount options have to be separated by comma, not by space.

- If you read the doc under the aforementioned URL,m you'll notice that
  "noumount" is not a valid mount option.  It's just a fake option added
  by `mount' to show that a certain mount point can't be unmounted.  This
  affects only the cydrive paths so far.

What you have to do is to use some entirely different path, commas
to separate the mount options, and drop the noumount option, like this:

  Z: /my_z_drive dont_care binary,posix=0,user.noacl 0 0

Now you can access your drive via /my_z_drive.  You also don't have to
reboot.  It's sufficient to stop all Cygwin processes.

And for testing pourposes it's also sufficent to create just a
temporary user mount point using the mount(*) tool:

  $ mount -f -o binary,posix=0,user.noacl Z: /my_z_drive

Corinna

(*) http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-utils.html#mount

Red Hat