Re: how to enable the very convenient copy/paste editing method in Cgywin?

Marco Atzeri wrote:
--- Mar 21/9/10, Eric Blake ha scritto:

Use mintty or rxvt instead of the windows console.

Only mintty please, rxvt should be considered obsolete as cygwin uses now UTF8 and rxvt can't.

New on me. I'll start using mintty asap. Must be better than Terminator. I did a cutesy thing with an echo-ed ellipse to mark time while a script iterated over some lines in a list: rxvt wrapped each unbroken string to 80 characters while Terminator ran them off the right-hand side of the window before doing so. You set it as many times as you want to 80x24 or 80x40 (or whatever) and it still does what it pleases. Except that Console2 unerringly preferred my old MinGW .bashrc file to my Cygwin one, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone looking for a tabbed terminal emulator.

How's mintty on that btw?
Moreover we have a really present mintty maintainer
while rxvt is dead upstream

Marco

That's good to know, too. It's always better to use something that's being maintained consistently by the author or a well-acquainted successor. Even "Kompozer with a K and a Z" blew serious wind until the Mozilla team brought it back under their umbrella. Not likely to happen to rxvt -- the variants are better. I was going to suggest adapting mrxvt to "play both sides of the fence," but if the trend is toward mintty, I'll go with the flow.

Steve W.